Thursday, April 06, 2006

Boot Camp: Now Macs can do Windows Too!

Apple - Boot Camp

While visiting my most favorite forum in the whole wide world today, I was greeted by the best news I've had in weeks: Intel-based Macs can now boot Windows officially! No more hacks, no more work arounds and no more jumping through hoops.

This sure is a real welcome news for me because my iBook is due for a replacement and I was actually contemplating on getting a Windows laptop because I need it to do my job. Using my iBook in a Microsoftified company is a big job for me because I have to make a lot of adjustments to make things work. Being a systems administrator at work helped a lot because all the settings that I need to make my Mac work in my network can be done by me. However, accessing Windows-only applications can be a real pain because I had to connect my iBook to my Desktop Windows PC using Remote Desktop Controller to do it.

With Apple's Boot Camp, I can do this natively -- well not immediately because my iBook still has a PPC CPU (not the Intel CPU the newer Macs have) but this did make my problem of going back to PC laptops go away because I now know that my next computer will still be an Apple! But this is not the good news (yet), the *real* good news is that the functionality of Boot Camp will be built-in to the next iteration of OS X (Leopard)!

technorati tags: , , , ,

No comments: