Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lifehax0r: Control Your Mac Using Telekinesis (and an iPhone/iPod Touch)



A couple of days before I Jailbreak-ed my iPod Touch, I discovered a nifty application called Telekinesis (a.k.a. iPhone Remote).

Using Telekinesis is pretty straightforward.  On the initial run of Telekinesis, it will ask for a user ID and password and it will also provide the user with the URL where the iPhone's Mobile Safari should surf to so it can control the computer. 

I was amazed at the amount of control it provides my iPod Touch.  Using Telekinesis, I was able take a snapshot of whatever my MacBook's camera is "seeing".  I can also take a peek at my MacBook's screen and open/close applications as needed.

Here's a tip for people who want to try out Telekinesis:  Go to the "Sharing" preference pane and open up port 5010.  If this port is blocked, the iPhone or iPod Touch won't be able to control the Mac.  Another tip is to make sure that your URL starts with "https://" not just "http".

Blogged with Flock

No comments: